Important information - marriage and civil partnerships

Additional information relating to getting married in the East Riding.

Minimum spend for your ceremony

For any ceremony, you must pay for:

  • the notice of intention to get married/enter a Civil Partnership. This is £35 each, or a total of £70 per couple

Our cheapest package is our Bronze service. This includes:

  • a basic ceremony in a register office, with a maximum of two guests. This is £57 and is only available on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings (depending on office location). The cost includes one certificate.

Submitting notice of intention to marry/enter a civil partership

The notice of intention to marry or enter a civil partnership is £35 per person. You attend an appointment at the register office, but which one depends on where you live:

  • If you are an East Riding resident, and have been for at least 8 days, you should submit your notice to your local register office.
  • If you are not an East Riding resident you must submit your notice to your own local register office, in the region you pay council tax.
  • If you are a foreign national, please contact us so we can advise you according to your personal situation.

Holding a celebratory ceremony in a private venue

You can hold a ceremony at a private unregistered venue. You will also need to book a legal ceremony at one of our offices first, to ensure the legal requirements are met. After the legal ceremony, we can work with you to create a unique celebratory event at the private venue.

This option is often more cost-effective than other ceremony options. Please note, there is a non-refundable fee of £200 for a necessary assessment of the private venue. This must be paid at the time of booking.

The fee for the legal ceremony is dependent on the day of the week:

  • Mon – Thurs £170
  • Friday £220
  • Saturday £270
  • Sunday £350
  • Bank holiday £350

If you prefer to have a ceremony outside of office hours, there will be an additional charge of £100.

Other discounts and fees

Venues and ceremonies

We offer four wedding different types of wedding or civil partnership ceremony.

Find out how to book your ceremony.

All ceremonies must take place in a council registration office or council licensed venue. View our approved venues.

Ceremony discounts

If you have a naming ceremony after your wedding or a civil partnership you can save 25% on the total cost.

Other discounts

For ceremonies in register offices in the East Riding, excluding the £57 ceremonies, couples can get 20% off if one of them is in receipt of the following:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Tax Credits (Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Support
  • Universal Credit.

Please contact us to find out more and how to claim a discount

Cerermony fees

Ceremony fees depend on day of the week and location of your ceremony. We offer 3 ceremony choices for your big day: Gold, silver and Bronze, which are included in your ceremony fee. You can view our different ceremonies and pricing in the ceremony outlines under Gold, Silver and Bronze.

If you you would like to make your ceremony more bespoke you can request this. please be aware there is an extra fee for this.

Fees are subject to change, and rise on April 1st every year. If you book a ceremony on or after this date, it will be subject to the increased fee.

Cancellation fees

If you need to cancel your ceremony, for whatever reason, you will incur a fee:

  • 3 days or more before the ceremony £50
  • Less than 3 days before the ceremony whole fee
  • Change to date, time, or venue £50.

If your ceremony was due to be held at a registered venue, please contact them. There will be additional fees to be paid on top of the ceremony cancellation fee.

Wedding certificates

The cost of your wedding or civil partnership includes one certificate. Additional certificates can be purchased for £11 each. These can be posted to you, or you can collect them from the Beverley Registration Office.

Apply for copy or replacement certificates online