Register your venue

Couples are searching for a venue just like yours

A popular destination

The number of ceremonies in the East Riding continues to increase, and we now have more than 1,500 legal ceremonies taking place each year. There is no better time to get your venue registered and offer couples a unique celebration.

Quaint or quirky, traditional or modern, couples are searching for a variety of venues to host their ceremony and the celebrations that come afterwards. The East Riding of Yorkshire has so much to offer couples and their guests, with landscapes ranging from rolling hills to stunning coastlines, ancient woodlands to bustling market towns, it’s easy to see why the area is so popular for locals and visitors. Your venue could be the backdrop for the perfect, dream come true.

Registered venue enquiry form

Benefits of being a registered venue

Create more revenue

  • Ceremonies offer another income stream for your venue
  • Couples and guests often return again and again
  • Once registered, you will be included on our website directory for free
  • We regularly advertise our ceremonies online and offline
  • With more venues available locally, East Riding grows in popularity as a celebration destination

Offer a range of celebration experiences

Once registered, you will be able to host:

  • Weddings
  • Civil partnerships
  • Renewal of vows
  • Naming ceremonies
  • Citizenship ceremonies.

Create your own packages

Create full or pick-and-mix packages to offer catering, accommodation, decoration and more

  • Simply provide the venue for couples to DIY their ceremony
  • Work alongside partner organisations to offer more.

How to get registered

Please read the information on this page to understand our venue requirements and application process.

If you want to apply or would like to discuss things further, complete our registered venue enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch.

Registered venue enquiry form

What sort of premises can become licensed to host civil ceremonies?

Commercial venues such as hotels, stately homes, restaurants, clubs and other similar premises may be licensed to host civil ceremonies. Some of our ceremony venues are quite small but offer a very professional, personal service for small parties of people.

The premises must be a permanent, immovable structure comprising of at least one room, or any boat or other vessel which is permanently moored. We can perform the legal parts of a marriage or civil partnership outside providing it is in within the boundary of the venue and there is a room inside to use should weather force the ceremony inside.

Premises must not have any religious connection and must have the relevant planning permissions to host civil ceremonies.

How much does a license cost?

There is a fee of £1,900 for a three year licence, this is for an unlimited number of rooms within your venue. Fees are reviewed in September and April each year.

What permissions and assessments do I need?

The grant of approval (the licence) is granted subject to certain legal and local conditions being met, including health and safety, satisfactory fire risk assessments, relevant planning permissions if necessary and accessibility.

How long does the application process take?

Once you have sent a completed application form, together with supporting documentation and the fee to the register office, a visit will be booked for the Superintendent Registrar or Deputy to attend your venue. They assess the premises for suitability, talk about the services we offer and answer any questions that you may have.

Providing all the criteria are met an advertisement will appear on our website seeking any public objections to the application. We will also send your application to the Fire Service for their input. If no objections have been lodged within a set period of time and the fire service raise no objections, the approval will be granted and a licence will be issued.

From receipt of a completed application form to approval can take up to 3 months.

How do I apply?

If you want to apply or would like to discuss things further, complete our registered venue enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch.